Far from the madding crowd

Today, three celebrations in one for this post: surely the deal of the year, you can't say no to this, especially given the rampant crisis.

Let's start with the official celebration in The Netherlands: April 30 is known as Queen's Day around here, synonym of a day off (usually under buckets of tedious rain), drinking binge, loud music and masses of people randomly carrying you around without even letting you touch the ground - think vulgar Mary Poppins. Not my cup of tea, even though last year I did make an effort and plunged into the surrounding mess.

I had no intention though of making the same mistake twice, so this year I listened to a different tune to enjoy the day, the desperate cry of my mind and body: "REST! REST!". I could not ignore the obvious signs of exhaustion and keep going around bleary eyed, not even for one more day. I was craving for a peopleless, careless and stressless day, possibly to be spent outdoor, listening to birds chirping. The sky kindly allowed us to celebrate Queen's Day-my-way: beautiful day, nice temperature, no wind. I was out of the apartment in a second, picnic in the bike's side bag, hubby and fantabulous dog in my wake, ready to go bucolic.


And this is where the second celebration comes into the picture: about a week ago, we celebrated hubby's birthday and among the countless presents and surprises, there was a beautiful camera. I guess we are still celebrating his birthday and will do so every time we take a picture. The Nikon D60 is a fantastic high-tech toy we are still trying to master given its unlimited options and features, while having simple fun taking test pictures and enjoying sheer satisfaction when the result matches the idea of the picture we had in mind. Needless to say, the luscious woods and river bank we went to today were our favorite targets, together with super dog.


Last but not least, a celebration quite dear to me: this blog is 1 year old. I should probably celebrate this by confessing that I never thought for one minute that I could manage writing ideas here for so long. It all started like a fun experiment and here I am, 12 months later, still happily typing away and uploading pictures - and watch out of the ones taken with the new camera. This being said, I guess the real best way to celebrate this anniversary is to thank you all for your kind words and support, from family members to friends! It is still fun for me to be around here, and I hope it still is for you too. Will I be able to carry on another year?

To be continued...

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?