Reading the signs

There are signs and codes all around us: road signs, maps, color codes, dress codes, shortcuts and symbols. They all trigger a reaction or some form of understanding and compliance. Well, or non-compliace, it really depends on the individuals here. I am just thinking about all those nice bikers pedaling furiously through the intersection, praying or not for their life since the streetlight shows a bright and warning RED light. Oh well...

The conventional signs are more or less shared by all of us, even though their significance can of course vary from one culture to the other.

Lately though, I found myself carried into my own world of signs, you know, ringing bells that mean something only to you, instantly. The moment is just right, it sounds and feels just perfect and carries an unmistakable message.

Sixteen employees fill the space with the sound of their fingers typing furiously on the keyboards; they type fast, because time is money and there are many many emails to reply to or to write from scratch. Efficiency at its paroxysm and no crisis in sight for now, thank God for that. From the open window on our right comes a steady breezy, not quite warm but certainly friendly and vibrant with new promises of outdoor life, laghters from students, a couple of distant songs and trains carrying passengers away. One or two of us stop typing and bend their heads towards the window: we have heard it. We have heard the carillon, its simple keys, its childish and naive melody. 

The ice cream cart is in business town!


Like the call of the wild, we hear the call of colorful ice cream flavors, crunchy cones and first sunny days. One by one, all employees stop typing and listen to the playful music. At that moment, I imagine the flavors that would trickle down my cone, my sticky fingers and grateful palate for what would be a happy, sweet moment in the heart of a stiff working day. 

As if by magic anticipation, on that same morning, I had sprayed a bit of my "summer" perfume on my hair and clothes... The thought of the sugary ice cream and the retro cart combined with the sweet smell of the Miss Dior Chérie I always wear when the nice season starts made me turn into Alice in Wonderland and jump into the romantic and fresh images of the Dior's commercial.

I love when all the signs point towards spring and its joyful rebirth and promises of lazy days.



0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?