Trio


The title of the book I am going to talk about symbolizes a perfect trio, a bit like the trinity if you want... I did not dare using that term as a title, even though, as you will see, spirituality is definitely one of the topics of the book written by Elizabeth Gilbert. Yes, I did read Eat, Pray, Love.

And I liked it.

This is the kind of book that makes you marvel at all that surrounds you, all that makes your life what it actually is, while opening your eyes on new opportunities and adventures. This is the kind of book that gives faith: there is a ray of sunlight somewhere... You just need to fight for it, whether it be via food (and its symbolic meaning, well beyond the taste of ricotta and spinach raviolis), prayer and...unsurprisingly, love.

The story told by the author is a personal one and starts off quite dramatically around her miserable life. However, the style is so lively that you know from the onset that things will shift...a new wind will blow and the main character will take the reins of her life back into her own hands. For each verb that composes the title, there is a corresponding country and step into the rebirth of Mrs. Gilbert. Needless to say, and I am afraid I am going to be a bore here, the part about food is set in Italy...and did make me smile. A lot. Don't get me wrong though: this is not a book of recipes, although it could be interpreted as such if you are thinking of recipes on how to put the pieces of your shattered life back together and avoid your disastrous discent into a dantesque hell... Yes, then it will be full of recipes you can fiddle with. But then again, they are the very personal journey of a specific human being, so I would not apply them at random, if you know what I mean...

Anyway, grab a moment, a cup of good coffee or a slice of that succulent apple cake (we're in season) and start turning the pages. The author has humour and knows how to put things happily into perspective which, in turn, will help you spend a very pleasurable moment in her company, while learning what life can be or could be. 

If you are wondering whether I have seen the movie, the answer is "No". As always, I am not sure whether I should watch it, to be fully  honest. The book is a pleasurable experience and memory and I would not want it to be spoiled... Maybe some day I will indulge into a session with Julia...maybe...

What I did though, was watch a video of Elizabeth Gilbert's live contribution at the TED. She certainly knows how to speak about the process of writing a book and, more intrinsically, about creativity. I can only suggest you spend a moment in her enlightening company...Would you have another cup of coffee maybe?



0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?