Pocahontas

Western movies are a  must: just imagine one of those black and white oldies where horses run like the wind in the wild wild west (no room for you here, Will Smith), where ruthless cowboys spread terror and rifle bullets. You may have guessed it already, but I am a big western movie fan. When I was a kid, I was exceptionally allowed to stay and watch TV in the living room - silently crouched next to the couch so that mom and dad would forget that I was still up - when there was one of those spaghetti westerns on. 

Unlike most kids, I cheered for the Indians. I mean, Dances with Wolves is one of my favorite movies - can't believe that nobody makes westerns these days. Snif, snif. The thing is, I loved the horses of the Indians and their entirely different way of life, amid nature and the spirits of all Indians of the past. Sooooo exotic! The cowboys seemed so arrogant in comparison (Will definitely inherited that), always ready to shoot every moving target around them - too easy, really. And then, by definition, they would always win. Where's the fun in that? For me, they embodied cruelty and destruction of all things sacred.

So, it may come as no surprise to you to know that this all western fashion trend leaves me cold. You can take the girl out of her childhood (and western movies), but you can't take childhood out of the girl. Whoa.

If you leaf through fashion magazines or walk into a casual fashion store, cowboy boots, checkered shirts and big buckled leather belts are just about everywhere. Ah, let's not forget the hat. I mean, come to think of it, I always thought cowboys did look kind of sexy in those tight jeans - Clint Eastwood, you are my idol. Still, even today and despite the macho male charm, I will bet on the underdog.


Given the history of my feelings, it will come as no supernatural suprise to you to know that for the sunny days and the rides in the wild with my pinto horse - pinto horses, you are my idols - I have chosen feathers, lots of them and in all shades. Ditch the boring and conventional cowgirl, once and for all.


This necklace was instant love for me, like a communion with the elements of the West, like the call of the wild. The wild is a French shop called Agatha, one of my favorites because there is always, always something nice to pick. 

Matched with the turquoise silk top (Comptoir des cotonniers, what else?), I think this is the the winning combination for our modern Pocahontas (and we should just forget the legend here, saying that for love she turned into a nice and married cowgirl - how inconvenient in this post...). If at first turquoise may seem a difficult color, just underline it with an "ethnic" piece of jewelry and you have your Indian party outfit honoring the Indians' veneration of turquoise stones - the symbol of the link between earth and sky so dear to them. 


Squaws of the world, let's gather around the fire!


0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?