Healing Horses {Discover}

Journalist Jules Howard imagined a world without animals for a piece he wrote for The Guardian. For more than one reason, this would lead to hell on earth. For me, it would even be impossible to imagine such as thing, let alone then write about it. I long for the presence of animals and have even befriended a lovely blue cat, dubbed “BigBlue” by the family, in our new neighborhood. Every morning I marvel in Snow White style at the robin redbreast singing at the top of the pine tree in the neighbor’s backyard. Should I even bother to mention our beloved Mr. O or my father’s love for horses passed on to me by genes it seems? Well, you get the picture.

I  have always loved the honest company of animals and lately I have been craving for the company of horses more than ever, which could also be translated as the increasing need of honesty in my life, whatever… Last time I had the opportunity to go for a trotting ride, we went through the Landes forest, the largest one in France. An extended stretch of pine and fern forest once covered by marshes, is now wearing the warming colors of Fall, from pale pink to dark brown, all shifting under the lightest breeze. The perfect seasonal rainbow under the perfect setting sun. It was just us, the horses reassuring breath and rhythm, and our joint effort to move on.

They say the behaviour of a horse mirrors yours. I cannot tell you whether this is true or not, the only thing I know is that when going horse riding, I need to leverage my self-confidence - what’s left of it - and willpower, and that I need to install a different channel of communication to reach mutual trust. Horses’ smell, skin, and eyes are soothing to me and the moment I see a horse, I need to talk, touch, ride and communicate in every possible way. Better if during a lovely ride in the beating heart of nature; better if along the way we spot a deer, hidden in the tall ferns, its dark head and ears the only part of its body sticking out, a fine outline etched on the golden background. Our smell being covered by that of the horses, the deer did not flinch and leisurely watched us passing by. 

Via Twitter, I’ve had the opportunity to briefly mention my growing interest in equitherapy. As of now, I am not sure where this interest will lead me, but I find myself being living proof that animals, and horses in this case, have some sort of healing power on our psyche: they do not judge, they ask for respect, they listen (well, most of the time at least!) and are open to communication and exchange. Now, how many times does this happen to us in a day?

The power of animals, I tell you.

The power of horses.



Credits: drawing by TheDaydreamer

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?