Summer Pages {Page-Turner}


Summer books


No matter how I read and absorb information, I need to read. Preparing the list of books I'll be reading during the summer days is one of my guilty (not) pleasures. The absorption in the task, the difficulty of making the right choice, of selecting among the zillion books I'd love to surf through, the rising expectations... That's adrenaline. 

These are the writers and books I'll be exploring, for better or for worse:

1 - Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

Nothing really magically new here, really: ironically this book has been reviewed, commented upon, photographed all over the Internet. That's why I have been taking my time to add it to my reading list - I needed time to ponder, take a different route and let all the reviewers' words slip out of my head like sand. That's how I truly discover new words and worlds. This is the exact same rule I follow when choosing movies to watch; and yes, this may also be my shameless attempt at disguising how late I am to the (beach) party. 


The gorgeous Librairie Mollat in the French city of Bordeaux, had put a yellow post-it on the book cover to share with its customers the beauty contained in the novel. Be it the combined forces of that spectacular temple dedicated to books and the handwritten book review itself (cf. #1) or the puzzling title reminiscent of Harry Potter's scenes, the fact is - I will read it. 

3 - The Lake House by Kate Morton

My friend Z introduced me to this writer's works. I have enjoyed the few novels I have read, so naturally I have decided to ride this wave too. Something tells me (the cover? Please don't judge me!) that this book is the perfect companion to a trip to the end of the world. 


This choice simply reflects my liking for all things botanical and exotic. The previous books I have read by Adrien Goetz were disappointing (I have reviewed one out of two). After chatting with the librarian, I have decided to give the author a third chance. Who said I'm not a lenient reader? This shows you the power of an actual conversation with a human being, in this case a professional librarian. Without being enthusiastic about the book, he has underlined that it is rather different compared to Goetz's previous work. I am waiting to embark on this new trip.

5 - La Femme fardée by Françoise Sagan

The powerful memory of Sagan's "Bonjour Tristesse" is still etched in my head. Simple, clearcut words and sentences have made it unforgettable. Here I am, longing to read another book by the French writer who so surprised me the first time I turned one of her pages. She stands out thanks to her acute sense and understanding of the flaws of every man and woman on this earth. Simple, striking, and efficient.

The list actually goes on and on, like the waves on the beach - an endless beginning and sweet ending... The pleasure of choosing, reading, thinking, re-reading sometimes is such that the list will probably never stop growing, like my wishing for an endless summer.

What is your current wish?
What pages will you be turning during the summer?




Credits: Death to the Stock Photo (edited by The Daydreamer)

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?