Munich


This is the last movie of our outdoor summer series, another "old" movie I had been meaning to watch for years. The political topic is clearly one that has unleashed fierce controversy. This seemed a reason good enough for me to add it to my to-watch list, combined with the fact that I find Steven Spielberg is one of the most versatile producers/writers/directors ever. I do not necessarily like his entire filmography (speaking of looooong lists), but it is fascinating to see how he can master different genres with ease and talent.

I added Munich to my very own humble list right after Spielberg lead the 2013 Cannes film festival jury. It just hit me then, go figure why, that he has been in the trade and a trendsetter for about 40 years!

Munich tells the story of the kidnapping and murder by Palestinian terrorists of the Israeli athletes participating in the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich. As a result, 5 agents from very disparate walks of life will be recruited by the Israeli government to hunt down the alleged (!) terrorists throughout Europe. Beyond the efficient thriller and the partly reality-based facts, the real interest for me lies in the study of the mechanism of revenge and the fatal eye-for-an-eye chain. You would think that the movie unquestionably takes sides, but although the massacre of innocent people can only be condemned, the means used to retaliate are clearly shown as inadequate and only fueling the useless spiral of hate. The avengers only become as horrible as the monsters they pursue based on moral grounds. But then, how are we supposed to react? How efficient is straightforward retaliation? What about negotiations?

I still have in mind the last scene of the movie, when agent Avner turns his back on the government policy and its lot of never-ending murders and attacks. Food for thought, especially when focusing on the actual background of the scene, where the World Trade Center towers stand out (see above)...



0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?