Shabby Reader


With spring around the corner somewhere in this world - oh, wait, somebody tells me actually here, on this side of the planet - a change in moods and colors is all I am longing for. Note: I don't even mention temperatures, this would be way too daring at this stage. Given the atmosphere outside my window at this very moment, I turn towards the inside and to the comfort of home decoration books that do bring me the shades and fabrics I long for at this time of the year.

What is called Shabby Chic does the trick.

A laid back, unpretentious and spontaneous looking way of decorating your little nest based on soft hues and contrasting fabrics all with a retro look, let's even call it vintage, although I believe the term has become stlightly overused at this stage and as such devoid of actual meaning... Throw in a bunch of wild flowers, nothing too sophisticated, and there you have what seems like an embracing mess, one I can live with. 

The fascinating point is, though, that like many other things in life, what seems to be a spontaneous assemblage is actually a carefully studied one where gilded frames stand right next to industrial and worn out pieces to compliment and offset one another. It seems casual, but it is not. Still, I can forgive the double game for a simple reason: unlike many über modern styles, this one makes me feel comfortable and makes the space feel warm and welcoming - no fear of staining the all-white couch while you jump on it!



The style is beautifully rendered by the Shabby Chic Interiors book by Rachel Ashwell - a classic, I would say. Each page is a delight for the eyes, full of ideas that can be easily adapted, interpreted and suited to your own living space. The author is obviously a real hunter for those pieces of furniture that nobody wants and throws away - and she knows how to give them a second life while taking into account their history, their many years of service, in an easy going way, the shabby way.

Credits: TheDaydreamer (pages from the book)

2 commentaires:

  1. I love the look of shabby chic. Thank you for sharing Rachel's book, I've seen her work make its way around the web for years now, but I don't own a copy of this classic (yet!). You make a great point, her signature look seems so casually and easily put together but requires much skill and effort (and creativity!)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother was leafing through the book the other day and I thought her point of view, slightly different from mine, was interesting and shed new light on it: she said that sometimes in the book, the shabby look is too obvious - maybe trying too hard to be shabby? At the same time, I believe in some way that shabby and minimalistic do not really go hand in hand... Question of points of view! Glad you enjoyed the reference in any case. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?