I am reading...

The book was left to its own devices for 4 long days... Alone in a plastic back, at the foot of a big book case full of brochures, post-its (with no breakup messages on them, luckily), folders and course contents. Not the best company ever if you think that its pages are all about delicacies and life events that are unveiled to the readers every Monday evening, during Lillian's cooking classes.

The book is so positive that in the middle of an office I am sure it managed to let some of its soothing messages and life stories seep through and permeate the place: the fish in the tank seemed grateful this morning when I walked in, as if they had been reading through the book's every page and had learnt that food needs to be appreciated for more than just what it is. Home grown veggies are just more than veggies: they are the result of a patient commitment and a labor of love... Mixed with other simple ingredients sprouting from the earth, here they are on our wooden table to bring nutrients but also - and as always - an opportunity to admire colors, smells and flavors while sharing a peaceful moment around a bowl of crispy salad.

The School of Essential Ingredients (by Erica Bauermeister) is about the basic ingredients in life, simply presented through the pleasures of food. Don't get me wrong though: there is much more than just an Epicurean message in its pages and down-to-earth style. Sometimes I think the tales are written too simply...but as I read on (and as the colored fish in the tank read on, they told me) I let my doubts go and just seem to get lost in the meanders of each character's adventures, with disappointments, happiness, concerns... So it may look and sound simple, but it works after all! The main character, the owner of the restaurant and head of the cooking class is a very self-assured woman that seems to read through people's needs and provide comfort with every cooking class. Now I wonder: do cooking classes work this way? Probably not, unless you find a person that knows how to read through people and think beyond practicalities.

With this type of wishful thinking in mind, for 4 days I cursed myself for having left the book at the office. How could I? And for 4 days I longed to know the next story, to salivate to the details of the next recipe and to meet with a new participant in the cooking class.

Now the little fish are certainly most unhappy: they will never know the end of the story.

Credits: TheDaydreamer

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?