Formatted or not formatted?


The (real) brain relies quite often on experience and so far, nothing new under the snow (unless you have a mushy brain). What is more amazing is how sometimes that experience and the associated reaction it triggers (or the other way around, as you see fit) instead of helping you clear an obstacle will just hamper your progression. Have you noticed or is it my clouded mind playing tricks on me again?

Since I received a lovely, lovely Mac from hubby under the lit Christmas tree, I have bumped into the unsettling pattern a little too often for my taste. The good thing is, it helped me realize to what extent we are formatted - in this case, PC formatted. In a way, I remember that learning how to use a PC was not really a big deal: you follow a course, learn the basics, start typing your translations, reports or papers and off you go into the computer world!

Call it ageing - or formatting - I do not find it so easy anymore to adapt to new situations, and the use of a new computer is just symptomatic. True, I used a PC every single day of my student life and possibly post-graduate life, so reflexes run deeper than ever. So much so that even if your eyes see, let's say, a different window on the screen and they send the alert message to the brain, the latter still reacts in the good (maybe not so good after all...) old way, hoping to bend reality to what is reassuringly familiar.

Obviously, a Copy/Paste does not work in the same way on a Mac than on a PC, just as democracy cannot be pasted on countries simply because it is believed to be the "good" model. You see? 

And to add to the confusing confusion, even the terminology is different: "right click" becomes "secondary click" and so forth... And that is when you are forever and officially grateful for screenshots and quick guides. But I have good hopes because:

1-I am not that old/formatted.
2-Doggy learned to bring back the mail in 24 hours.
3-I am having fun (= cookie that doggy gets for performing well).
4-I am a stubborn little thing (on the negative side).
5-I am a persistent little thing (on the positive side).
6-Mac is perfect for people who do not understand a thing about computers (is this flattering or is this flattering?)
7-I am not that old/formatted. 

And the loop is looped.

Add to this that 2009 should bring its flow of resolutions (arrggghhhh) and challenges (double arrggghhh), I will win this, learn to fly and enjoy every single magic feature of beautiful Mac.

Wish me good luck, for this challenge...and all the others!




0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?