Books I have read twice {Cover to Cover}


Somebody famous recently said that they'd rather be read twice than actually be remembered for that one book in their life. I think I may be referring to a podcast guest, maybe one of La Poudre's or PILE Le Podcast... (French speaking folks, don't miss these podcasts, I mean it.)

It got me thinking about the books I have read twice. Because, come to think of it, and despite the incredible pile of books I would like to read before I shut the door and leave this world, I have read some of them several times - and not just twice, truth be told.

Now, you have to understand that my memory being in the state it is now... I may forget a couple of those books along the way. It does not really matter, as I will then have the perfect excuse at the ready to put together the sequel to this post ;-)

The first book that comes to mind is:

 - South of the Border, East of the Sun by Aruki Murakami
I have totally fallen in love with the love story of the two main characters. Because yes, for me there are two of them, starting with Hajime, a man with a pretty successful life and whose name means "beginning". The short novel shows us how life can always change and take on a new turn, especially when we seem to be settled and satisfied. Murakami is one of my favorite authors because he artfully mixes reality in its most evocative form and haunting magic. And that's what makes this book so incredibly elegant and rich, letting my imagination go with the flow.




"Sometimes when I look at you, 
I feel I’m gazing at a distant star…. 
Maybe the star doesn’t even exist any more. 
Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything."


- Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Banana Yoshimoto excels in the art of writing descriptions that bring to the surface the quintessence of her characters. Every object and space is described in details. And in the middle of it, appears life with its whirlwinds. She is another wonderful example of the efficiency and poetry of Japanese style.


- Nagasaki by Eric Faye

This book is a recent discovery of mine. And the fact that it unveils events that have taken place in Nagasaki and it describes the life of a Japanese character is no coincidence. Eric Faye has efficiently adopted the Japanese way of writing. Short sentences that drill to the core of our existence. And a character faced with mysterious events or people who bring back reality to the forefront.


- A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

The first pages of this book will forever remain etched in my memory - and that's a big statement for someone who tends to lose every bit of it...! Owen and his shrill, high-pitched voice have accompanied for a long time after I closed the book. And you know what? I have missed him ever since. That's why at some point I have felt the urge to open the book again, and start it over. For those who know me, it's also no coincidence if my dog's name was Owen. Bless him.

What books have you read more than once? Which one would you recommend to me?

Happy reading - and daydreaming - to all of you!

Souce: SincerelyMedia via Unsplash



0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?