Jackson Pollock, maman. {Discover}




Modern art and kids

We took the kids to the museum, the Centre Georges Pompidou, to build on a school visit that had apparently been very successful. We turned on the Play mode and relished the idea to spend a dark, windy and greyish day in the colorful company of Jackson Pollock, Jeff Koons (ongoing exhibition alert!) and the likes.

It turns out that kids bonded with modern art much more than we did: call it generational, prejudices or whatever you like, but our eldest was looking for hidden raccoons and porcupines in some rigorously white modern piece of art, circling its straight lines to make sure the playful animal was not trying to escape from the back of what looked to us like, well, an unsolved riddle. And so we went, hopefully hopping from one room to the other with a brand new enthusiasm and understanding - I am speaking of us, the adults. The icing on the artsy cake was our youngest shouting "Titi mammaaaaaan" in front of Jeff Koons's...well...Tweetie.

And now, tell me: do you take your kids to modern art exhibitions? Do you like modern art, and why?

Credits: TheDaydreamer



1 commentaires:

  1. What a wonderful image D, I love its playfulness and bold colors. My boys were enchanted with the Pompidou, but more in the playground aspect of it - its interactive stations, curious exhibits, vibrant colors and of course so much space to run! Quite different than if I had taken them to the Picasso Museum ;) My older boy had many questions about art and wondered about certain installations. This of course opened an opportunity to tell him anything and everything can be considered art, it's up to the artist's and viewer's interpretation. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of modern art but can appreciate it. Much of it (for me) lacks a certain emotive depth I look for in a piece of art. p.s. Hope you're home safe and sound - xo

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear about your daydreams!

 

What's in the archive?